Monday, November 10, 2008

Singing and Dancing and Skipping Rope

This is Sunday morning in Beijing!

My first day was a beautiful sunny day and I set out on my own to find my way to Jingshan Park from the Peninsula - no small feat. I think the walk took almost an hour, but it was well worth it. I saw so many wonderful scenes along the way.

Jingshan Park is on the North end of the Forbidden City and is a hub of activity. The park itself is beautiful, but it is the people that make the experience. At first, all I saw were the ladies doing line dances in the main courtyard, cute. Then at every turn, there was some other activity. There were groups singing at the top of their lungs - apparently it is virtuous to be a good singer and they do take it very seriously.

Clusters of people playing chess or cards, haky sack, jumping rope, people playing instruments, acting troups, etc...it was a beautiful day. I am very very tired, so this is not the most eloquent of posts, but here are some pictures.









No comments: