Thursday, December 11, 2008

Xian Part 2 - Dumplings

My first Chinese dumplings were the best! A friend who once lived in New York told me where to go...not sure if I found the exact place she was referring to, but I did find at a great little hole in the wall that rocked. The line was out the door and down the sidewalk - always a good sign! For some reason, I can’t seem to find great dumplings in Dallas, so I have to go places to get that dumpling fix – tragic I know!!

Rice was not grown in the Xian region, so the local population relied on wheat and wheat flour products including dumplings, steamed breads and noodles. THE place to go is 'the legendary' DEFACHANG one of the oldest and most popular of Xiann’s dumpling houses. The restaurant specializes in handmade steamed, boiled, fried, and baked dumplings with over 100 different fillings. I only tried 19 delicous varieties– I guess I will have to go back a few times to see which is the best!

OH, and the friend who told me about the dumpling place in NYC, also went to China with me! She is thinking that a trip back to this restaurant is in order too...great minds!

No comments: