Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Sleeping Among the Wildebeests

My life list includes things like advanced degrees, conquering certain rivers and mountains, a reading list, a world monuments list, etc…you know things that I want to do or experience in my lifetime. I actually wrote the list about 15 years ago and am tracking pretty well. I do occasionally go back to add things that I just didn’t have the wisdom to think of when I was in my 20s. One thing that was NOT on my list that I might just add so I can check it off is sleeping among the Wildebeests during migration in the Serengeti. I would have never thought this to be one of those unforgettable life moments, but it was!! Wildebeests are not that pretty really…everyone dotes over the zebra and the giraffe or the elephant, etc. But the wildebeest gets no appreciation! While enjoying sun-downers one evening, we stood surrounded by thousands of wildebeest. They kept a distance of about 100 yards or so…almost a perfect circle around us. The funny thing is the sound they make… it is a low soft sigh almost. Like on exhale, they just sort of sigh. Standing in the middle of it, the sound was soothing and sweet.

That night we slept in tents in the middle of the plains covered with the wildebeest herds. To be lulled to sleep by their sighs is just one of those life experiences that is truly unforgettable.
Now for the tent in which I enjoyed this experience...Like out of a movie set or a Ralph Lauren add, the Sabora Tented Camp in Tanzania blows the idea of ‘camping’ to the most luxurious extreme!

A full bathroom inside the tent provides all the luxuries one would expect of the finest hotels in the world...with a view and an awesome 'soundtrack'!

Pictures do no justice to the experience...you must add it to YOUR life's list!!

No comments: